[Web4lib] Networking legacy CD-based resources

Deeds, Leland LDeeds at union-psce.edu
Fri Jan 11 10:14:13 EST 2008

Our library still has a number of resources that are available only on
CD, and which for a number of reasons are not going to be replaced by
online versions. Several years ago these products were all delivered on
a networked CD tower. After the demise of that piece of hardware, the
resources were made available in a limited fashion on a couple of
computers in our Reference area.

We would like to find a way of making these resources available to users
over the network, again, from our servers by using a CD emulation tool.
My predecessor had evaluated a software package by FarStone Technologies
in 2005, it appears, but this only runs in a Windows environment. Our
servers are all running Linux.

Can anyone recommend to us software that will run on a Linux server that
would allow managed, network access to products originally on CD? Any
information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Leland Deeds
Leland R. Deeds, Librarian
Academic Computing Support