[Web4lib] Demise of IT?

Bob Craigmile bcraigmile at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 16:36:20 EST 2008

It's more the relocation of IT than the demise.  And it's happening, but hard to say where it will end.    Issues to consider:

* the dependability of the product/service.  what are the uptimes of the colo/warehouse/datacenter?  Do they have good redundancy in a post-Katrina world? (backups stored in the same CITY can't be considered safe now).

*what's the net effect of control for your institution?  Some SirsiDynix sites have recently complained of slow access times on the SaaS (Software as a Service) elements where SD hosts their catalog or other content.  SD has responded to those concerns by moving to a new datacenter.

* what happens when you switch platform/sofware/vendor?  Do you own your data?

I suspect many of us work in an institution that no longer has an "in house" facilities maintenance staff.  Contracted out to a "middleman" agency.  Expertise is deemed too expensive  and too varied (plumbing, electical, etc.) to be handled by on-campus staff.