[Web4lib] Library Automation Survey Results

Cloutman, David DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
Thu Jan 10 16:17:06 EST 2008

Okay. Thanks for the explanation. I guess where my skepticism lies is in
how meaningful taking an average of an ordinal scale actually is, when
regardless of the type of scale you are using, the results that you
average are a set. It seems like the set of results from an ordinal
scale are treated by most people as if they were no different than the
set of results from a ratio scale, and to me these seem like
fundamentally different things.

If you have a set:

{1, 3, 3, 4}

You can say 2.75 is the average. If those numbers represent the ages of
children at a library event that's fine to average, but if we use the
ordinal scale I originally defined, do you think it's fair to say for
the set

{"poor", "good", "good", "excellent"}

the average of ordinal values really means "almost good", because that
is how I would attempt qualify 2.75? If you're looking at a set of
evaluations for a program at your library, for instance, by averaging
the ordinal values, you're taking three positive responses an one
negative response, and deriving a conclusion that the program wasn't
"good", even though 3/4 of the respondents would have said otherwise. To
me that doesn't sound like a fair mechanism for evaluation, particularly
if you have a manager that expects programs to produce a 3, because that
is "good".

Anyhow, I won't beat this dead horse any further, since I only vaugely
know what I'm talking about and this is getting off topic, but I'm
curious to know what your thoughts are.

- David

---
David Cloutman <dcloutman at co.marin.ca.us>