[Web4lib] Demise of IT?

jimm wetherbee jimm at wingate.edu
Thu Jan 10 15:57:52 EST 2008

Jennifer Heise wrote:
> A speaker at a conference I attended yesterday appeared to be suggesting that in 20 years, no non-profit institution (including colleges) would havein-house IT staff.  I see institutions without in-house IT support going downhill in terms of productivity and effect. But what do others think?
I can see a move toward off-cite e-mail/messaging/video and whatever
will be the equivalent of a web-presence (including the library catalog)
in 20 years.  I can even see whatever equivalent to the
PC/tablet/smartphone we see in 20 years might be as straight-forward as
toaster.  What I don't see is the campus network going away in that
period of time.  Back in the day of POTS campuses had their own PBXs
(and people who knew how to maintain them) and a campus network is much
the same.  Even if all IT appliances are a simple to use as a toaster, a
campus would no more rid itself of IT (at some level) than it would of
electricians.

--jimm

Jimm Wetherbee                 | jimm at wingate.edu
Information Systems Librarian  | Voice: 704-233-8092
E.K. Smith Library             | Fax:   704-233-8254
Wingate University             | http://library.wingate.edu/staff/jmw/
Wingate, NC 28174              | lux et fides