[Web4lib] How do I create a semantic web site?

Rob Styles rob.styles at talis.com
Thu Jan 10 10:07:59 EST 2008

John,

There are lots of things to play with, but only few real examples.
OWL is not necessary to understand initially, only RDF and the forms
worth reading up on are really turtle (http://www.dajobe.org/2004/01/
turtle/) and RDF/XML (http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/).
These are both technical specs, so may not be the easiest read.

Practical examples of getting data out on the semantic web using
existing tools come mostly from Linking Open Data community (http://
esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/
LinkingOpenData). They produced a set of guidelines on how to publish
linked open data in the "right" way last year (http://sites.wiwiss.fu-
berlin.de/suhl/bizer/pub/LinkedDataTutorial/).

It's still early days for many of the tools and things are evolving
quickly.

If you want to play with data without having to set up tools yourself
we have semantic storage technologies in our platform - email me off
list if you'd like more information.

rob

On 9 Jan 2008, at 16:35, <jfitzgibbon at galwaylibrary.ie>
<jfitzgibbon at galwaylibrary.ie> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do I create a semantic web site?
>
> I know I have to use either RDF or OWL but do I use either of these to
> create a mark up language which I then use to create the web site
> or, with
> the semantic web do we move away from mark up languages altogether?
>
> Am I right in thinking that OWL and RDF do not contain any
> information on
> how the document is to be displayed or presented? They do not seem to
> allow for style sheets.
>
> Is the creation of a semantic web site completely different from
> anything
> that has gone before and I am stuck in an old way of looking at the
> problem? Are mark up languages a thing of the past as far as the
> Web is
> concerned?
>
> Any clarification would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards
> John
>
> John Fitzgibbon
>
> p: 00 353 91 562471