[Web4lib] Content Management System Suggestions

Alnisa Allgood alnisa at nonprofit-tech.org
Mon Jan 7 12:13:16 EST 2008

I highly recommend ExpressionEngine. It doesn't get as much mention on these
types of list, since it's not free open source CMS. But for a full fledge
CMS it's very affordable $99 for nonprofit/personal use and $199 for
commercial use, compare that to the $10,000+ for some other CMS.
ExpressionEngine is flexible, full featured, extendable, secure, and a lot
of other adjectives. What I like about it is that it provides a solid
foundation to build a website on, whether I'm doing a basic blog set-up for
a friend, or a website containing 10,000 of articles and pieces of
information.  A basic site is easy-to-set up, but it does have a learning
curve to really get access to its full use and flexibility.  The support
community is strong and very helpful.

We've thrown it at a number of projects over 25 last year, and it's handled
them all—tiny, small, large, to somewhat massive (10 subsites, 10,000 pages
with 20-30 pages added daily and 5 million hits a month ).  I know of
another develop who created 52 projects with it last year, 52. That's huge,
but indicative of the flexibility and ease of use that comes with using
ExpressionEngine.

Alnisa