[Web4lib] End of the line for Netscape

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jan 2 11:09:03 EST 2008

<http://blog.netscape.com/2007/12/28/end-of-support-for-netscape-web-browsers/>

> ...we feel it's the right time to end development of Netscape branded
> browsers, hand the reins fully to Mozilla and encourage Netscape users
> to adopt Firefox

> Q: What will this mean?
> A: We'll continue to release security patches for the current version
> of the browser, Netscape Navigator until February 1, 2008. After
> February 1, there will be no more active product support for Navigator
> 9, or any previous Netscape Navigator browser. This includes Netscape
> v1-v4.x, Netscape v6, Netscape v7 Suite, Netscape Browser v8, and
> Netscape Navigator/Messenger 9.

Requiescat in pace.  Without ever really liking any of them, I
downloaded and used every version of Netscape's browser from 0.9 to 8.0
-  I suppose I should get a copy of 9.0 for completeness' sake.  If you
don't remember a time when 90% of the browsers out there were Netscape,
they were going to change the world (and arguably just made the mistake
of saying so before they actually did it).

--
Thomas ("Hey, Firefox 3.0b2 looks pretty good") Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu