[Web4lib] RefQ: Are there web-enabled cell phones that can use local wireless?

steven turner steven.turner at usm.edu
Thu Feb 28 13:38:37 EST 2008

I would guess that if If a web-enabled cell-phone has an operating
system that will respond appropriately to a WEP or other network
access request (provided your network doesn't use something like
enabling access via MAC addresses) , then I would say yes;
specifically, my iPhone is able to access any standard network
protection scheme....but I have no experience with other phones, and
they may respond differently.

On Feb 27, 2008, at 4:37 PM, Cornwall, Daniel D (EED) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been asked whether people with web-enabled cell phones might be
> able to sign onto our library wireless network. My off the cuff
> response
> was no because many web-enabled phones are tied to a single service
> provider. Has anyone here heard differently?
>
> Thanks,
>
> =================================
>
> Daniel Cornwall
> Head of Information Services
> Alaska State Library
> PO Box 110571
> Juneau, AK 99811-0571
> (907) 465-1315 ph
> (907) 465-2665 fax
> E-Mail: dan.cornwall at alaska.gov
>
> Learn what the Alaska State Library can do for you by visiting
> http://library.state.ak.us.
>
> Learn about the Alaska State Publications Program, a system that works
> to make state information available to Alaskans now and in the 22nd
> Century. See our web page at <http://library.state.ak.us/asp/
> asp.html>.
>
> Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are mine alone and not those
> of my
> employer unless explicitly stated.

Steven Turner
Library Web Services Manager