[Web4lib] new scholarly content in (vanilla) Google?

Rudy Leon rudy.leon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 11:23:21 EST 2008

Some google searches this morning consistently brought back results
from JSTOR, which is a very new wrinkle 9at least to me).

If I recall correctly, Google spiders were not allowed to crawl sites
they did not have full access to, and thus Google Scholar was born to
have different rules and allow the spidering of journal home pages and
other password blocked sites. However, this morning's results were in
plain old vanilla google, and also failed to include the "Full text @"
links we see from Schoogle results.

Has anyone any solid information about this? Have Google's rules
changed? What else is now being crawled by regular google spiders?
Will scholar be eliminated? Bueller?

--
Rudy Leon
Instruction & Collection Development Librarian