[Web4lib] Reference / citation / bibliographic management software

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Sun Feb 24 15:33:59 EST 2008

We've had a trial of RefWorks, which has some nice features, but is
quite  pricey.  I've been looking for comparative reviews of of
Refworks and the other available solutions (both proprietary and open
source) but most of what I'm finding is pretty dated.

I'm looking for input from librarians who have either gotten site or
network licences for some of the commercial products (RefWorks,
ProCite, etc) or have implemented other solutions, such as installing
an open source product or promoting the use of one of the open source
products via training sessions.

I looked at the Wikipedia "Comparison of reference management software" page
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_reference_management_software>

Some of the most promising free solutions have odd quirks.  For
example, according to the wikipedia chart, one of the most promising
open source products, Refbase, can be used on most major operating
systems and can import from file formats offered by almost every
vendor we use - but it doesn't offer the Chicago/Turabian citation
style which some of our professors require.

So, if your library has been using one of the products, please tell me
how they're working for you.  For the open-source products, I'm most
interested in how challenging (or how easy) they were to install and
offer to the campus community. I would prefer a web-based solution
simply because it allows users to access their citations no matter
where they are working, as long as they have network access.

[If you reply to the list, please cc: stacy.pober at manhattan.edu   Thanks!]

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist