[Web4lib] Which databases can Google Scholar crawl?

Ted Koppel tpk at auto-graphics.com
Tue Feb 19 21:39:04 EST 2008

Bill,

IF Google were to put together an 'official list' it would send a
message(or at least imply)
a couple of things:

   - that they are systematically inventorying what they add to Scholar
     (we don't know if they have the equivalent of a Cardex or if they
take
     pains to look for and include 'missing' articles per journal) and
     that they would (implicitly) have to spend some money (overhead) to
     do a proper job of what we call 'serials control'.

     By leaving the question open, they are likely saving some
administrative
     overhead expense.

   - that they would be making a commitment to continuing free access to
Scholar
     (suppose libraries built collection development policies based on
Scholar
     and next year Google decided to monetize its investment (i.e.
charge
     for access).  Can you imagine the outcry from the library world?

     By keeping things murky - not committing, but by being ambiguous -
Google
     keeps all of its business options open.

I have *no* particular inside knowledge, but it wouldn't surprise me if
Google avoided confirming or denying their inclusion policies in order
to keep from becoming mired in the finer points of serials
management.

From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Bill Drew

Noncommittal answer if I ever heard one.  How hard would it be to just
say here is a list of database providers who let us crawl their sites?
That is a simple answer.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.