[Web4lib] Which databases can Google Scholar crawl?

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 11:35:05 EST 2008

  Kathryn Silberger said:

  "It is important that as a profession we don't become passive about allowing publishers and aggregators to take control of collection development decisions."

  Don't aggregators do this already?

  Bernie Sloan

Kathryn Silberger <Kathryn.Silberger at marist.edu> wrote:

Alan's question, "Has anyone ever seen, or attempted, a canonical list?" is
a good one. This could be an activity of some ALA committee. It is
certainly a crucial step in being able to evaluate GS as an information
source. It is important that as a profession we don't become passive about
allowing publishers and aggregators to take control of collection
development decisions.

Katy

Kathryn K. Silberger
Automation Resources Librarian
James A. Cannavino Library
Marist College
3399 North Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Kathryn.Silberger at marist.edu
(845) 575-3000 x.2419

"B.G. Sloan"
om> To
Sent by: web4lib at webjunction.org
web4lib-bounces at w cc
ebjunction.org
Subject
Re: [Web4lib] Which databases can
02/19/2008 09:59 Google Scholar crawl?
AM

>From the Wikipedia entry on Google Scholar:

"A significant problem with GS is the secrecy about its coverage...GS
refuses to publish a list of scientific journals crawled, and the frequency
of its updates is unknown. It is therefore impossible to know how current
and/or exhaustive searches are in GS."

Bernie Sloan

Alan Cockerill wrote:
Hi

Has anyone ever seen a list of what providers have 'opened up' their
indexing and abstracting data to Google Scholar?

Clearly large free sources like Pubmed and Scirus can be searched via
Scholar but what subscription-only dbs can be reliably searched via
Scholar?

Common sense tells me only fulltext providers would allow crawling of the
I&A sections of their products as Scholar opens another channel to
potential
article purchasers.

Trial and error tells me that Emerald, JSTOR, Sage, Informaworld and
Ingenta
(somewhat patchily) have done this, and local Oz publisher RMIT publishing
has allowed a couple of its fulltext datasets to be crawled by Google as
well.

Has anyone ever seen, or attempted, a canonical list?

Thanks, Alan.

Alan Cockerill
Library Technologies Coordinator
James Cook University, Cairns