[Web4lib] Cites & Insights 8:3 available: The Centenary Issue

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 21:24:52 EST 2008

Cites & Insights 8:3 (March 2008) is now available for downloading at
http://citesandinsights.info/civ8i3.pdf.

This is the centenary issue--#100--a nice round number that I'm a little
surprised to have achieved. Naturally, that milestone affects the issue--but
not as you might expect.

The issue's long--36 pages--and PDF as usual, although all but the last
section (My Back Pages, always exclusively PDF) are also available in HTML
form from the home page, http://citesandinsights.info

This issue includes:
* 100 Reasons for Doing Cites & Insights - an introduction
* Trends & Quick Takes - ink costs, life without software, the significance
of good sound and more: six trends, ten quicker takes.
* Perspective: Tracking High-Def Discs - including a prediction for the
likely winner in the format war.
* Making it Work - the biggie: 19 pages devoted to aspects of making
libraries better, including reading (reader's advisory, slow reading, etc.),
philosophy, hassles, balance, and "Library 2.0 debased."
* Interesting & Peculiar Products - flashy labels, green PCs, supercheap
laptops and more: 19 items in all.
* My Back Pages - 16 mini-perspectives, none of them terribly serious.