[Web4lib] Re: Google Search Appliance and OPACs

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.dk
Tue Feb 12 12:57:08 EST 2008

Ms Norma Jean Hewlett wrote:
> Casey Bisson wrote:
>
>> Can you offer an example search where Google returns a screen full
>> of  results from libraries? I feel lucky if I see even one result
>>
> from
>
>> a library in the top 10.
>>

> Casey, you are right! I stand corrected.
>
> The situation I described was common a few years ago, but doesn't seem
> to apply at all now. I ran a Google basic search for Sun Also Rises.
> In 20 screens, I found only 1 link to a library bib record--that was
> to the WorldCat record, and it was on screen #19.

I wonder if users aren't getting smarter about this... they'll have to,
I think... if I search for a movie title, it's kinda random what pops
up... but if I search for the title and add, 'imdb' or 'tomatoes', I
reliably get the IMDB page or the excellent Rotten Tomatoes review
analysis.. similarly, if I do your search for 'Sun Also Rises', and add
'worldcat' to the end, a good-looking page pops up, complete with a
suggested list of libraries. Not bad.

Maybe WorldCat just needs a cooler, more memorable name, and some hot
YouTube videos to get it into the public mindspace.

--Sebastian

Sebastian Hammer, Index Data
quinn at indexdata.com   www.indexdata.com
Ph: (603) 209-6853 Fax: (866) 383-4485