[Web4lib] Re: Google Search Appliance and OPACs

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 11:59:34 EST 2008

  Casey Bisson is correct that direct links to OPAC records from Google are infrequent. I did a search on a relatively new book published late last summer: Scott Weidensaul's "Of a Feather: a brief history of American birding." This is the sort of book that may libraries would have purchased

  I read through each screen of results until I got to the following message at the 19th screen:

  "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 188 already displayed. If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included."

  While links to library web sites started showing up on the sixth screen, these links could pretty much all basically be characterized as "new book lists". Some had links to the catalog record, some didn't.

  The first direct link to an OPAC record was on screen 13, a record from the Grace A. Dow Memorial Library in Midland, MI. The only other direct link to an OPAC record was on the very next screen...Loudon County Library in Virginia. Interestingly, they both have the same system: Dynix's Horizon Information Portal, and the records look almost identical.

  I believe Jean Hewlett is correct about the past though. I think it was more common to find links to OPAC records a number of years ago.

  Bernie Sloan

Ms Norma Jean Hewlett <hewlett at usfca.edu> wrote:
  Casey Bisson wrote:
> Can you offer an example search where Google returns a screen full
> of results from libraries? I feel lucky if I see even one result
from
> a library in the top 10.

Casey, you are right! I stand corrected.

The situation I described was common a few years ago, but doesn't seem
to apply at all now. I ran a Google basic search for Sun Also Rises.
In 20 screens, I found only 1 link to a library bib record--that was
to the WorldCat record, and it was on screen #19.

Most of the results were either individual title records from
bookstores or blog posts about the movie.
Jean

Jean Hewlett
Regional Librarian, Univ. of San Francisco

All opinions are my own, and do not represent my employers.