[Web4lib] Paperless society

James M. Gilbert gilbertj at cliu.org
Tue Feb 12 11:21:58 EST 2008

Recently, a patron donated several archival boxes of well-preserved
handwritten historic letters from area residents (mid-to-late 19th century).

We are interested in pursuing a digitization effort in house.

At present, I am interested in pluses and minuses of each of the following:

1) Co-locate digitized images on our primary automation (TLC
Library.Solution) server; as we are currently replacing this machine. It
will be using Windows 2003 Enterprise, and currently 5 USER CALs. If we go
this route, are more CALS recommended?

2) The industry best-practice of using a seperate storage server for images.

Thank you,

James M. Gilbert
Systems Librarian
Whitehall Township Public Library