[Web4lib] Paperless society

Peter Keane pkeane at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 11 14:58:34 EST 2008

I strongly suspect that in years to come we'll move towards a
distributed data model where data resides locally as well as remotely (I
don't say "centrally", since there could be many "master" copies that
are verifiably identical to other copies). Asynchronous "syncing up"
with a trusted remote source might happen regularly, so our local data
is both correct AND not subject to the whims of network access, etc. A
local copy could regularly "mix-in" other resources as well (say, data
more important to a local constituency).

As things stand, a publisher's print run of a valued reference source
is our equivalent to a "synching up" with a trusted source, and the
benefits of such should not be underestimated. And the marginal
notations that we relied on, edited, etc. at the reference desk in
certain works are the print equivalent to digital data "mash-ups" -- of
course the digital realm allows those mixins to be carried over to a new
data set, and w/ print we would need to hold on to our annotated copy to
enjoy its benefits.

We ought to keep in mind that sometime in the not-so-distant future,
ALL existing telephone numbers will fit on a thumb drive. Better that
we focus on search/retrieval/indexing/sync-ing of very large data sets
(and of course being constantly aware of the incredible benefits of
data-on-paper, even if it on produced just-in-time).

Actually, there's no good reason that I shouldn't be able to download my
entire university's online catalog (with regularly sync-ed updates) and
use whatever search tools that Windows 2015 or Mac OS 10.9  offer for
searching structured data. ;-).

--peter keane
daseproject.org
The University of Texas at Austin