[Web4lib] Paperless society

Havens,Andy havensa at oclc.org
Mon Feb 11 11:14:52 EST 2008

On a related (for very large values of "related") note...

A blog pal of mine, Douglas Galbi, a senior economist at the FCC, has
written some great stuff around library circ data. One of the areas he's
been looking at that seems very interesting to me is that of AV library
use.

He notes here:
http://purplemotes.net/2007/06/24/print-down-slightly-video-up-sharply/

that print circ in Boston Public libraries is down slightly, while audio
and visual materials circ is up.

In another post:
http://purplemotes.net/2007/06/10/library-users-like-audiovisuals/

he makes note of various studies that come down on a number near 20% as
a percentage of circ for video, and 25-35% for all AV combined.

And Douglas points out here:
http://purplemotes.net/2007/08/19/public-libraries-outperformed-video-re
ntal-businesses/

that libraries, in terms of percentage growth, outperformed the video
rental biz from 1985-2004.

What does this have to do with the decline of paper? Well, I don't think
it's just the decline of paper, it's the ascendence of digital delivery
of all media. People ain't filling up their iPods with old CD's as much
anymore, they're getting songs right from the Web-hose. As far as online
video is concerned, ComScore has been tracking it for more than a year
now. The latest:

http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=2051

Including growth from last year: "Online viewers watched an average of
3.4 hours (203 minutes) of online video during the month, representing a
34-percent gain since the beginning of 2007."

So... What portion of library users' AV needs/wants are now being met
directly on the Web? Between free content on the Web (YouTube, etc), and
Netflix offering a download service, there are more free and/or
convenient options coming fast.

Paper, celluloid, plastic (or whatever those DVD's are made of)... It's
moving onto (or streaming from) the Web.

- A
Andy Havens
OCLC: Manager, Branding and Creative Services