[Web4lib] Re: Google Search Appliance and OPACs

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Fri Feb 8 14:00:51 EST 2008

Some observations on WorldCat local:

The site has static pages. The site has a PageRank of 6. That's very high,
higher than the Seattle Times. It means that Google is VERY interested in
the University of Washington's holdings and would spider very deep if it
could. Best of all, unlike 95% of OPACs, WorldCat doesn't rely on sessions,
so Google won't linking to a bunch of expired pages. (Many of the links into
the LC's catalog, for example, have expired. Well, blame the users. How
stupid does someone have to be to think linking to a library would work?)

Despite all these advantages, Google knows only 63 pages from the University
of Washington's WorldCat pages. Why? Because OCLC has added a
robots.txtdisallowing all agents from looking at pages under /search.
Since /search is
the connective tissue between everything, they've erected a big "Go Away!"
to the only thing that could put them truly on the web.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the problem with libraries on the web:
They don't want to be there.

Tim