[Web4lib] Re: Google Search Appliance and OPACs

Walker, David dwalker at calstate.edu
Fri Feb 8 11:09:50 EST 2008

I'm not sure this is a particularly apt analogy, Tim.

A lot of the products and services we buy come from large corporations.  My local Dominos pizza and local Sears outlet don't have their own websites.  They have national, corporate websites that do, in fact, serve as intermediaries to the products that are available locally.

I also think we should be careful here in talking about 'libraries' and 'library users' in very broad terms.  Academic and public library users often have very different behaviors and goals, and I think there are definitely more effective ways of reaching the former than via placement on Google searches.

> Don't like the way OCLC displays your items?
> Stuff it. Want to try something cool? Quit your
> job because your library is no longer in control.

At the Code4Lib conference later this month, I'm going to be demoing a system we are developing here that uses the WorldCat API, which is part of OCLC's new web services.  I'd be curious to see if you still hold this above opinion after seeing that.

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University