[Web4lib] Re: Google Search Appliance and OPACs

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Fri Feb 8 07:40:40 EST 2008

> Type "Omnivore's Dilemma, Portland Public Library" into Google and you get
> nothing useful. If Google knew of a page that had both the book AND my
> public library, they would come up on top, I'm sure of it. They don't
> because my library isn't on the web. Few libraries are.

Functionally, what is wrong with the WorldCat model? Set aside other issues
about OCLC. Now let's assume OCLC wielded enough clout that WorldCat entries
appeared near the top of results for any book search. At that point the ZIP
code locator (or I think also IP authentication in some cases) brings the
user to the book+library-catalog combo (type five numbers, press Enter).

I'm aware that WorldCat results currently don't appear high up enough to
matter (despite some hifalutin arguments about capturing users in their
workflow, yada yada). But what if they did? Why wouldn't that be good enough
to lead the user to the book in his or her library?

I am inclined to think this is not a matter of relevance ranking or
convoluted mystery-meat algorithms as it is a matter of focus.

Karen G. Schneider