[Web4lib] Web technologies and public access

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 14:50:44 EST 2008

I hope my words earlier in the thread didn't come out this way.   The
discussion was about how a site that still looks like 1995  no longer
carries credence.  This is a purely informational site, more like a series
of pamplets from the local Ag Extension service than a slick magazine.

Sure, design matters.  Good design draws the reader and makes for a more
enjoyable experience.

I've even noticed that I'll see the same article from the NY Times in 3
places:

-- the print Times
-- the Web edition
-- syndicated to another paper's print or online edition.

Often I'll catch myself a paragraph or two in and go "Wait a minute, you
already read that."

Publishers of books wouldn't spend so much time and money coming up with a
good design if not for a purpose.  But when the book comes out in paperback,
the words are the same.

/rich