[Web4lib] Web technologies and public access

Dobbs, Aaron AWDobbs at ship.edu
Mon Feb 4 16:17:17 EST 2008

Sorry, this line got me:
"If anything, teach the youth of 2008 to read the words."

Sound familiar?:
If anything, teach the freshman how to use the library catalog.

Is there a connection between content and presentation? I vote yes.

Shakespeare in yellow on fuchsia is not Shakespeare, it's a headache hoping to happen. The content may be good, but if it's not presented in a way which invites a user to read (access) it, then it's a waste -- except maybe as an example of poor/hideous design.

Presentation has function, its function is to make the content interesting, inviting, and accessible to the reader.

The "point of the web" is to share data & information which will hopefully lead to development of knowledge.  The way to do so is to present ideas in a manner that will appeal to as wide an audience as possible (hopefully the total population of the web) which usually means a moderately up to date design and accessible layout.

-Aaron
:-)'

Aaron Dobbs
ALA Councilor at Large Candidate 2008