[Web4lib] Web technologies and public access

Sean Burns sean.csb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:43:04 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 12:19:40PM -0500, Melora Norman wrote:
> The recent experiences I had working with blind people
> challenged my perspective on these issues.
>
> Many of the blind people I spoke with had given up on physical
> libraries altogether; there was very little in most *typical*
> libraries for most blind people.  Now that we are designing
> online experiences that parallel or supplement our physical
> libraries, we have a unique opportunity to offer information
> that is also accessible to blind people--and, one step further,
> even to offer content that is very usable for blind people.

Thanks Melora for sharing that.  Even being aware of accessibility
issues, and thinking about the blind in particular, I like the
idea of creating something specifically useful for this portion of
the population and in ways physical libraries hadn't done in the
past or aren't doing now.

Thanks,
Sean Burns

--