[Web4lib] Computer lab desktop IM chat client GUI?

Bruce Jensen flaco.jensen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 02:13:48 EST 2008

We would like to deploy a suite of tools that would live on the
desktop of every lab computer--most crucial would be a direct,
dedicated chat channel to library reference staff.  Are there ways to
do this?

Our IM reference service has had dismal traffic, fostering librarian
apathy.  However, some of us suspect that there are questions going
unasked, and that an unmissable, easy-to-use IM channel on each of the
hundreds of campus lab screens could help.

This might be anything that works--say, a Yahoo! Messenger panel with
our librarian on the buddy list, or the equivalent of our website page
with the Meebo widget.  We'd want brief instructions to go with it.
Extras such as links to databases on a chunk of the desktop would be a
bonus.

Can someone point us toward colleges/libraries/labs that have
implemented something along these lines?

Thanks for any leads,

Bruce Jensen
South Texas College
rbjensen at southtexascollege.edu