[Web4lib] Web technologies and public access

David McDonald Mcdonads at gov.ns.ca
Fri Feb 1 07:56:37 EST 2008

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for your input.

I must say that your comments have changed my opinion quite a bit on this topic.

The flash object in question is a historical timeline - with 16 years on it and growing.  I am going to recommend that we add a link to a page with straight html links so that all users can have equal access.

Furthermore, I am going to recommend that any other pages with images requiring plugins to view the content have alternative links added as well that will render the historical documents in PDF.

Thank you for your comments and for putting me back on the right track.

Cheers

David S. McDonald
Systems and Library Technology Manager
Nova Scotia Legislative Library
P.O. Box 396,
Halifax, Nova Scotia  B3J 2P8
(902)424-5658 Fax (902) 424-0220
mcdonads at gov.ns.ca

>>> Edward Spodick <lbspodic at ust.hk> 2008-02-01 4:17 AM >>>

I have seen some mobile devices which support some flash, but do not support having 2 windows open.

There goes our OpenURL resolver, which is configured to open in a different window from the default.  Unless the browser will convert that to open in the same - and the ones I have seen so far won't.

Loads of fun.

-Edward

--
Edward F Spodick, Information Technology Manager
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Library