[Web4lib] Privacy and Google Analytics [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Dyer, Renata Renata.Dyer at treasury.gov.au
Tue Dec 16 17:48:20 EST 2008

William,
I use the Google Analytics for the site I designed and manage for a
small non-profit organisation. I don't think it conflicts with the
privacy but I often wondered whether I should display this information
publicly and I came to a conclusion I should.

In my mind, using such tool raises privacy concerns and site visitors
should be informed that lots of information about their system (like
what is their web browser, what is their IP, internet connection and so
on) will be registered as well as their visiting activities and so on.

There are lots of web sites that provide their visitors with the
information relating to the web analytics on  their site under the
Privacy Policy or Privacy Disclaimer area. Examples are:
http://www.jrsainfo.org/privacy_disclaimer.html (look at the para. 3),
http://www.astm.org/IMAGES03/prpolicy.pdf

If you want to find more information about these issues just Google the
following search terms:
allintext:  "web analytics"+privacy -site:google.com

Renata Dyer
Systems Librarian
Information Services - Treasury
Langton Cres, Parkes, ACT, Australia