[Web4lib] Privacy and Google Analytics

William Denton wtd at pobox.com
Tue Dec 16 16:48:56 EST 2008

We're thinking of using Google Analytics to track users.  I run logs with
AWStats [1] right now, and it's pretty good, but Google Analytics can do
more, and it's free (for some values of free).

Privacy is a concern.  Did any of you find Google Analytics conflicted
with a privacy policy?  If you used it, did you announce it and tell
people how to avoid it?  I wouldn't want to deploy it sneakily.

I'm in Canada, which has a special privacy law called PIPEDA [2], but any
comments would be welcome, from any origin.

Bill

[1] http://awstats.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.privcom.gc.ca/legislation/02_06_01_e.asp
--