[Web4lib] Instruction statistics for web-based modules

Meredith Farkas mgfarkas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 11:54:55 EST 2008

Please forgive the cross-posting of this question, but it seemed to
fit well into all three lists:

For several years, we've been creating HTML tutorials, online course
guides, screencasts and other online instructional materials for our
students. Unfortunately, we have not been tracking these in our
instruction statistics, and only record our face-to-face instruction.
I was wondering how other universities were keeping track of the
creation and usage of web-based instruction modules in their
instruction/public services statistics (particularly asynchronous
online instruction). Do you keep separate stats for synchronous vs.
asynchronous instruction? If you use web stats as a measure of use, do
you keep track on a monthly basis or just provide a cumulative number?
What statistical package do you use for this (we have Webalizer Web
Stats and AwStats on our server by default)?

Looking at the NISO standards, I see a standard called User Training
(7.8.5) that seems to fit web-based library instruction, but I'd
really like to hear what other schools are doing and if they are
following a specific standard. Any details you can provide would be
incredibly helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Meredith

---