[Web4lib] Newbie question -- URL redirection

Andrew Darby darby.lists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 12:55:53 EST 2008

I guess you'd want either a 301 or 302 redirect.  The former is
permanent, the latter temporary.  Normally, you're moving to a new
domain and the old one is history, in which case a 301 is warranted,
but your situation is a little different, since you eventually want to
move to the new domain.  Here's a posting that might be helpful:

http://news.stepforth.com/blog/2008/01/redirects-permanent-301-vs-temporary.php

If you decide on a 301, I found this page useful once upon a time:

http://www.tamingthebeast.net/articles3/spiders-301-redirect.htm