[Web4lib] Managing software deployment in library/computing labs?

Terry Huttenlock Terry.Huttenlock at wheaton.edu
Thu Dec 4 19:58:06 EST 2008

Hi,

We are evaluating our current method of managing PCs in our computer labs (deploying software and preventing user changes).  Previously, when we were only responsible for a small cluster of library workstations, we used PCRDist and DeepFreeze on workstations where patrons needed to be able to install software.  Academic computing became part of the library a few years ago and now we manage 150+ workstations scattered across campus.  Now we use a product called SafeDesk, a thin client solution, however, we have had to modify this environment to run from the actual workstation, not a server, because of network issues.

We have been using this solution for 3 years and it may be time for a change.  We were wondering how other libraries manage their PCs.

Thanks
Terry

Terry Huttenlock MLS Ed.D
Assistant Professor