[Web4lib] Library link list collections

Phillip Whitford PWhitford at Braswell-Library.org
Wed Dec 3 14:30:27 EST 2008

 We stopped providing link lists several years ago. Using web page usage
statistics and surveys of site users we determined that our patrons did
not use the link lists. Some staff felt the link lists provided access
to better resources than Google or other general search engines (true
enough) but if we couldn't get people to use them  what was the point of
spending resources to maintain them?

Phillip B. Whitford
Associate Director for Support Services
Braswell Memorial Library
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my organization.
-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Cecily Walker
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 2:13 PM
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: [Web4lib] Library link list collections

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project regarding library link lists/link collections.
I'm interested in finding out whether your library manages a list or
collection of web links for your patrons. If your library does have such
a list, would you mind sharing:

(1) the average number of links in your collection;
(2) your method for managing the links;
(3) weeding policies;

and any other items you think might be useful?  Our library currently
uses delicious to manage approximately 5800 links, and managing these
links has become quite a chore. I'd like to see this collection go the
way of the dodo, because I think many people turn to Google find the
answers these lists used to provide.

If your library decided to stop collecting and publishing links lists,
I'd also love to hear the reason why.

Thanks,
Cecily Walker
Web Services Librarian