[Web4lib] Germs and public keyboards

Gilman, Mark mark.gilman at dallaslibrary.org
Tue Dec 2 14:54:46 EST 2008

Judy,

I think wiping a keyboard, mouse and surrounding areas with some alcohol
and a paper towel is probably better than doing nothing. Granted, it is
awkward to do that during the day, when the library is open and
terminals in use; however, one approach is to say something along the
lines of, "Hmmm. That mouse seems a little sticky. Let me clean it for
you. And while I'm at it, why don't I get that keyboard for you too?"

As for UV lights, here is one product:
http://www.sterilray.com/Schools/school_one.html  It seems pretty
over-the-top, but it is intriguing.  I recently attended a workshop on
the use of GIS in public health and learned of a homeless shelter in a
nearby city where there were a high percentage of TB carriers. Some kind
of UV lights were installed in the ceilings to cut down on the pathogens
floating about.  Here is an article about a similar, passive UV
approach:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/review/summer_uv.shtml

If it works, perhaps it would have some applicability in library
settings.

Regards,
Mark Gilman

Municipal Reference Librarian