[Web4lib] RE: sharpening images and OCR

Ryan Engel rengel at primate.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 2 13:54:24 EST 2008

Since it's been brought up, and realizing they probably serve different
purposes, can anyone speak about personal experience with Adobe Acrobat
9's OCR abilities?  We had an Adobe rep come to campus recently, and
among other things he showed off the OCR features.  It sure was an
improvement on the OCR software I remember from 5+ years ago, but how
does it compare to Omnipage, Abby Fine Reader, or other programs?

Jonathan Bloy wrote:
> John Fitzgibbon wrote:
>
>> We have just captured photographs from old newspapers that are on microfilm.
>> We are about to put these images on the Web. What software is best for
>> enhancing these images? Sometimes, there are black lines going down through the
>> image.
>>

> Lines like that are common when you scan newspaper and sometimes magazine photos.  Most scanning software has an option called "de-screen" which should eliminate those lines when you scan the images.
>

> --
> Jonathan Bloy
> Web Services Librarian
> Edgewood College