[Web4lib] Question from a non-techie

Thomas Edelblute TEdelblute at anaheim.net
Mon Dec 1 16:52:16 EST 2008

Fiber is the fastest technology available, but the most expensive.  This is what you would be looking at installing if you were to install OC3 or something similar.  If you can build a chain of links within five miles of each other, there are Free Space Optic (FSO) solution out there.  FSO is a laser beam that provides near-fiber speed (so the vendors say) but needs line of sight to connect up with, and is susceptible to fog.  The cable connections with VPN may be your most cost effective solution.  But check with your communications providers and let them present you with the options available to you.  Don't forget that many of these services will be eligible for e-rate and other discounts.

Thomas Edelblute
Public Access Systems Coordinator
Anaheim Public Library