[Web4lib] RE: storing resource passwords, i.e., the Chronicle

Jason Kneip jkneip at aum.edu
Thu Aug 7 13:32:54 EDT 2008

Nina,

I have the same problem as well. Too many passwords that I cannot possible remember and do not want to write them down on a crib sheet because I'll probably throw it out by accident.

I've been using a program for the past year called RoboForm2Go. RoboForm2Go runs off any flash drive that comes with the U3 software pre-installed. The software will save the login name, password and URL of the password-protected site. This means logging into any or all your password-protected sites becomes a one-click process. It encrypts your data so that it cannot be hacked, and you can set up a master password to ensure that no one else can access your passwords should you lose your flash drive. RoboForm2Go is really helpful if you work on multiple computers in the course of a day and need access to your passwords.

There is a free version of RoboForm2Go which lets you store up to 10 passwords, and a paid version which allows unlimited passwords.

BTW-you'll know if a flash drive has U3 pre-installed because whenever you plug it into a computer, it takes a couple seconds and then an icon will appear on your screen. There is another version of this software simply called RoboForm which you can install locally on your PC if you aren't a big flash drive user.

Email me directly if you have any questions.

Jason Kneip
Archives and Special Collections Librarian
Auburn University Montgomery