[Web4lib] recommendations sought for online database software

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Fri Aug 1 09:36:16 EDT 2008

I like the combination of PostgreSQL (an object relational database) and Zope
(an object oriented application server), both are Open Source.  After setting
up the Zope server you install a database adapter and their are a number of
adapters for each popular database program including just odbc adapters.
Once the adapter is defined you can add queries to the database simply by
defining just the query without having to add code to connect to the database
for each query.  I have used this combination for more than 10 years now.  If
you like you can install Plone in Zope for a CMS.  Both run on Windows,
Linux, Mac, and some other OSs.

The newest PostgreSQL incorporates the OpenFTS project ( Open Source Full Text
Search) in the database core to enhance the traditional search component.

http://postgresql.org

http:// zope.org

http://plone.org

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openfts/

Thomas

On Thursday 31 July 2008 14:30, Jarvis, Hugh wrote:
> I am contemplating building a database, and looking for advice of what
> software to use.  It will primarily be used online, by people around our
> university, to search and display information that our office compiles
> from other sources.
>

> We keep track of 'facts' about UB (how many students, how much money on
> research, how many people in the region, how many countries have
> academic ties with UB, etc).  These data get used eventually in web
> sites, slide shows, reports, and other marketing projects, and we want
> to ensure people use the most recent and correct facts.
>

> I picture someone going to a web site and searching or scrolling through
> the 'facts', then clicking through to read more (when it was updated,
> when it expires, who's authority it is based on, etc.).
>

> There would be under a thousand entries, each with perhaps a dozen
> attributes.
>

> No images or complex details to worry about except perhaps a link or
> mailias built on the fly.
>

> Something easy to set up, easy to maintain, easy to add data to, and
> easy to search/display online.
>

> Ideally out of the box and even free ware, but doesn't have to be.
>

> Appreciate any suggestions..?
>

> Thanks,
>
>                 Hugh
>

> (I did cross-post this, so apologies in advance if you see it twice.)
>

> Hugh Jarvis (PhD, MLS)
>
> Cybrarian, University Communications
>
> 330 Crofts Hall -- University at Buffalo
>
> Buffalo, NY USA 14260-7015
>
> Ph: 716-645-5000 x1428
>
> Fax: 716-645-6969
>
> Email: hjarvis at buffalo.edu (preferred)
>

> Please consider the impact to the environment before printing this
> e-mail.

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library			Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

"... using OpenOffice.org, and save them back to disk automatically,
in MS Word format.  They surf the Web, check e-mail, do instant
messaging, view YouTube videos, visit their Facebook pages, learn
touch-typing skills and lots more.  Our public library has been
offering these Linux public stations for the past three years."
 - Phil Shapiro Linux Journal January 2008

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/