[Web4lib] What to call the links

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Wed Apr 30 21:57:53 EDT 2008

I think it can be attractive to fret over labels and miss the larger
thing. People don't read web pages in the first instance, they follow
web conventions.

For example, neither a "catalog" or "search for books" link is as
immediately grasped as a well-positioned search box. Over the search
box I'd actually go with something stuffy like "Search library
catalog." But the search box is the thing, not the label. In the case
of ILL, I'd want to think about how they get to that need. Are
dead-end searches in the catalog sending them there? Is the name in a
simple list of important library services, with tag lines about what
they're for? Arguing over labels can be a unrewarding activity, a
lonely argument over words, fraught with fear about dumbing down. By
contrast, redesigning for actual use can be a clarifying experience,
with consensus building as the pieces come together in a sensible way.

But my biggest advice is not to hide the catalog. Whenever a student
can't find the catalog from a library home page, a kitten dies.

Tim

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding