[Web4lib] Update - Highly targeted Facebook Ad

Peter Schoenberg PSchoenberg at EPL.CA
Wed Apr 30 13:48:08 EDT 2008

The results of several Facebook ads are now in.

There were two ads, did two versions of the first ad.   Ads ran for 7 -
10 days each.

Ad One
The first ad looked for Beyond Blood in the music interests of
Edmontonians.    That was about140 people.

The first version of the ad had a headline of Trustkill Streamed
(Trustkill being the record label of the thrash/heavy metal bands we had
streaming content for via Naxos).

The second version had Beyond Blood Streamed as the headline of the ad.
We wondered how many people actually knew the record label.

Version One - Trustkill
2,285 impressions, 1 click, cost 56 cents
Click-through rate of 0.04%

Version Two - Bleeding Through
983 impressions, 1 click, cost 32 cents
Click-through rate of 0.10%

Comment: In both cases the clicks came relatively early in the
"campaign".   In either case having 1 or 2 people out of 140 click is
actually not bad.   Relative value is hard to determine, but for a total
cost of 88 cents we got 2 clicks and more than 3,000 impressions.

Ad Two
Promoted our Personalized Book List service.    Targeted Edmontonians
who had the words reading, fiction, novels or books in their interests.
This was a target of 23,000.

	20,855 impressions, 2 clicks, cost 66 cents
	Click through rate of 0.01%

Comment: A much larger audience, the click came relatively early in the
campaign.

Overall comments:

The cost per impression is extremely low.   24,000 impressions for $1.54

How many of those impressions resulted in the ad being read and perhaps
Edmonton Public Library being noticed in a tiny way is unknown.  There
was no noticeable increase in requests for personalized book lists.

The impressions seem to spike after a click and then gradually taper
off.   Guessing Facebook is doing some weighting of ads that get clicks
versus ads that don't.

We did not use an image for any of our ads.     That would be something
I would like to try next time.

There is some thought that Facebook is notable for its extremely low
click-through rates.    We saw a range of rates in this tiny experiment.

If you want any details, contact me this week.

Peter