[Web4lib] JOB: Notre Dame

Roy Tennant tennantr at oclc.org
Wed Apr 23 22:27:45 EDT 2008

Forwarded on behalf of Joe Thomas <jthomas at nd.edu>.
Roy

------ Forwarded Message
From: Joe Thomas <jthomas at nd.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:46:07 -0400

Position Announcement - Electronic Resources Librarian

The Kresge Library of the Notre Dame Law School is seeking a talented
librarian to help us establish a new position and then to be its founding
occupant.  We are looking for someone who understands electronic resources
and is adept at making them useful to library patrons.  We are looking for
an independent thinker with a cooperative outlook, a flexible and creative
person who will help the library establish goals, methods, and structures
that will make our electronic resources available to our users in the most
sensible fashion while helping to ensure that the library's investment in
electronic resources is responsibly maintained.

The Kresge Library is an integral part of the Notre Dame Law School and
offers exceptional opportunities for developing professional skills and
contributing to the educational mission of the Law School.  The successful
candidate will be a member of an experienced faculty of 10 librarians and
part of the regular faculty of the Law School.

Qualifications:

The successful candidate for the Electronic Resources Library position will
be an  intelligent, self-motivated, and detail-oriented individual with an
M.L.S. or M.I.S. from an ALA-accredited school.  A demonstrated ability to
work with online resources in a complex environment is a necessary
attribute.  We also seek someone with the ability to supervise others with
attention and compassion, and with the ability to communicate effectively
with faculty, students and staff, individually and in group settings.  An
understanding of the University's mission and a respectful appreciation of
the Catholic character of the University is also necessary (see
http://nd.edu/aboutnd/mission-statement/ )

Duties:

The Electronic Resources Librarian position is a work in progress, and one
of the chief duties of the successful candidate will be to assist in the
proper shaping of the position.  There are several areas of responsibility
which are anticipated to be overseen by the position: the coordination of
all activities associated with the management of electronic resources,
including oversight of an Electronic Resource Management system, updating
and maintaining links, coordination of content on an electronic resources
web page, and work with the cataloging phase of electronic resources.  The
Electronic Resources Librarian will supervise two staff members, one a newly
defined position of Electronic Resources Assistant, and the other the
Technology Support Assistant/Systems Coordinator, who in turn oversees our
Innovative Interfaces Millennium ILS.  We anticipate that the ERL will
coordinate technology issues with the law school's Technology Services (IT)
Department, manage technical problems with electronic resources vendors,
coordinate vendor relation issues, licensing, etc., with the Collection
Development Librarian, and participate in the instruction of electronic
resources users.  The Electronic Resources Librarian will share in the
management of the Technical Services Department working in close
collaboration with the Head of the Department, the Collection Development
Librarian, and the Bibliographic Control/Database Maintenance Librarian.

Environment:

The Kresge Library supports a national law school serving approximately 580
students and 35 full-time faculty.  The experienced staff of 27 includes ten
professionals.  As members of the Law School faculty, librarians are welcome
participants on Law School and University committees.  Construction of a new
Notre Dame Law School building began in the summer of 2007; a major
renovation of the Kresge Library will follow in 2009.  For additional
information about the Kresge Library, see http://www.nd.edu/~lawlib/
<http://www.nd.edu/%7Elawlib/> .

Compensation:

The salary will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications and
experience.  The University offers a generous benefits package, including
medical and dental insurance, liberal vacations, retirement options, tuition
benefits for dependents, and access to University events.  The Law Library
underwrites individual membership in the American Association of Law
Libraries and provides generous support for appropriate conferences and
workshops.

Available: While the position will remain open until a successful candidate
has been identified, applications received by June 15, 2008 will be assured
consideration.

 To Apply: Email applications are encouraged.  Please send cover letter,
resume and three references to Ed Edmonds, Director of the Library
(eedmonds at nd.edu).

 Notre Dame is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer

--
Joe Thomas
Head of Technical Services

------ End of Forwarded Message