[Web4lib] phpBB Alternative

Andrew R Stevens asteven4 at gmu.edu
Fri Apr 11 18:43:25 EDT 2008

This thread covers the issue and athakur999 response jibes with my
understanding of the GPL.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=2828800&sid=40c921132e49f3318cf1feb5f253e704#p2828800

You can modify GPL software to your heart's content, but you can't
redistribute the modified version under a license other than GPL.  In
short, you could strip out the "powered by" text,

Cloutman, David wrote:
> I'm looking at Vanilla too, now. I did the install yesterday. I haven't
> reached a final conclusion about it, yet. It seems a bit more straight
> forward than phpBB, but the permissioning system isn't as intuative as I
> might like. I hope once I figure it out, though, everything else is
> cake.
>
> On the security issue, phpBB definitely has a _history_ of security
> problems. Part of the problem, of course, it that it's so widely used,
> that a phpBB installation is a honeypot for hackbots. It might help if
> the public interface didn't say "phpBB" on the frontpage by default.
> Technically, I'm unclear as to whether I'm allowed to remove the
> copyright statement from the software under GPL. I really don't like
> advertising what software I'm using, though I'm not under the illusion
> that obscurity == security.
>
> Anyhow, the directory structure of phpBB is such that directories that
> should be private are placed in the document path. These days, I would
> never build a Web application that way. I'd put the installation in a
> completely different directory and use symbolic links in the document
> path to point to the public directory. I realize that probably adds a
> level of complexity to the installation process that some users might
> not be comfortable with, but it's a better design pattern.
>
> - David
>

> ---
> David Cloutman <dcloutman at co.marin.ca.us>
> Electronic Services Librarian
> Marin County Free Library

>>> 3. Has a obvious mechanism for changing the branding of the masthead.