[Web4lib] Highly targeted Facebook Ad being tested

Peter Schoenberg PSchoenberg at EPL.CA
Fri Apr 11 18:30:27 EDT 2008

On April 11 at midnight we will launch an exceptionally targeted
Facebook Ad campaign.    Not sure an ad campaign has ever had a smaller
target audience, more on that later.

Brief Background:   Naxos Music Library streams 34 CDs from Trustkill
records (heavy metal/thrash).    Due to a complete lack of catalogue
records and the fact heavy metal / thrash fans are particularly unlikely
to find their way to the library website and then find and choose the
Naxos Music Library database we created a Trustkill page on our site.

Here is that page:	http://www.epl.ca/epltrustkill.cfm

We then created a Facebook ad that targets people in Edmonton who have
the band Bleeding Through listed among their music favourites.   This
seemed to be the Trustkill band listed by the most Edmontonians.

Limiting the ad to Edmonton gives 415,000 people.   Sub-limiting to fans
of Bleeding Through gives 180 people.  (VERY highly targeted ad)

We chose a $10 per day limit 		(no danger there).
We choose .75 per click.    		(next time will experiment with
the pay per view option)
It will run from April 11, 2008 - April 20, 2008.

Best case scenario is probably 10 people clicking the ad.     Projected
cost $2 - $15.

Potential benefits:  hoping to surprise a small number of Edmontonians,
who are possibly not current library users and most importantly might
never think of the library for the kind of music they like (especially
streamed for free).     I realize streaming is very old school, but that
is what we have to offer in this case.   Hoping a few clicks happen,
hoping we surprise a few people and they tell a few people.

This sort of micro-ad seems to have great potential reaching non-users
of the library.

Here is the ad

Trustkill streamed

Edmonton Public Library