[Web4lib] Library Website Collection Guidelines

cecily walker cecilwal at vpl.ca
Wed Apr 9 14:47:30 EDT 2008

Please accept my apologies if this isn't the proper place to post this.

I am a librarian with the Vancouver (BC) Public Library, and I'm currently
researching library websites and whether libraries have established
collection guidelines for content created by library staff.  Specifically,
I'm interested in the following:

1) What are your collection guidelines for staff-created content? For
example, what is the impetus for creating a study guide? Is library created
content generated in response to a specific need?

2) How do you weed this content? How long does the content remain live on
the website? Do you have guidelines for how frequently a page should be
viewed in order to remain live on the website? If the page is required to
have a certain number of hits per year, what is this number?

I am particularly interested in hearing from those in public libraries, but
if your library has guidelines and you wish to share them, please do!

Thank you for your attention.

Cecily Walker
Auxiliary Librarian I
Vancouver Public Library - Virtual Library
cecilwal at vpl.ca