[Web4lib] Recommended Setup for Public Meeting Room and A/V + PC

Pruntel,Alison Alison.Pruntel at fauquiercounty.gov
Wed Apr 9 09:22:38 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Please excuse any duplication - I'm posting this to several lists.

We are working with our architects on a new branch library. The branch
will include a public meeting room where we hope to put in a ceiling
mounted projector. Ideally, people could bring in their own laptop and
interact with the projector, do presentations, etc. Our architect asked
us how we wanted this wired, did we want to have a laptop basically
bolted down to the podium and require presenters to use a USB drive to
bring up their materials (their recommendation - said most libraries did
it this way). That sounds insane to me - I would expect people to bring
their own laptops and assume the projector would be configured to easily
work with any PC. Am I asking for something that's not possible? Can any
of you share how your meeting room is set up for multimedia with a
mounted projector (we don't want to deal with portable) and how it's set
to work with various devices (PC, VCR, etc.)? I have no background in
A/V, but because I deal with the ILS and the PCs, it is assumed I will
figure this out.  :-)

Note - the library will be wired for wireless Internet access.

Regards,

Alison Pruntel
Electronic Resources Librarian
Fauquier County Public Library