[Web4lib] Cascade CMS?

Cloutman, David DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
Tue Apr 8 12:58:35 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am leading a Web redesign effort at my library. One of the tasks that
I have been given is to select a CMS to manage our site, so that we can
do distributed authorship amongst our staff. I looked at quite a number
of systems, with the only real limitations being that I wanted the
solution to run on Linux and be written in PHP or Java. To my
disappointment, the major Open Source solutions were not quite a fit for
us, for various reasons, but a proprietary system called Cascade, which
is produced by a company called Hannon Hill, seemed like a good fit.

This system isn't widely used in public libraries, but they have a lot
of higher educations clients that they say use the system for their
library Web sites. In these cases, my understanding is that the CMS is
provided by the school's IT department.

I would be interested in hearing about any experiences that Library
users have had with Cascade, good, bad, or indifferent. The solution
isn't terribly expensive, but it isn't free, either, and I'd like to
know what Library users thought about the system before we lay out any
money.

Thanks,

- David

---