[Web4lib] Library automation data

Breeding, Marshall marshall.breeding at Vanderbilt.Edu
Sat Apr 5 08:14:40 EDT 2008

This is an appeal to the readers of Web4Lib to help me collect information regarding automation products used in libraries.  I maintain the lib-web-cats database and use it as a tool for analysis of what automation products that libraries choose to purchase or implement.  Lib-web-cats currently includes over 32,000 libraries worldwide.  I believe that it's important for libraries to have data regarding the adoption and migration patterns of these software products as they make decisions regarding their automation strategies.  You can help in this effort by reviewing and updating the entry for your library in lib-web-cats, or submitting your library if it's not already included.

While I try to carefully track ILS deployments, in this round of updates I'm especially interested in gathering data about the other genres of products such as link resolvers, federated search, electronic resource management, digital library tools, and next-gen interfaces.  I'm interested in open source as well as traditionally licensed products.  Current data regarding the population served by the library, number of items in the collection, and annual circulation helps in the analysis.

Please go to:
http://www.librarytechnology.org/libwebcats

lib-web-cats is a component of Library Technology Guides:
http://www.librarytechnology.org

I would also like to mention that the annual "Automation System Marketplace" article published by Library Journal is now available in the April 1, 2008 issue and online, this year subtitled "Opportunity out of Turmoil."  The data that I have in lib-web-cats is indispensable in writing this article to corroborate and expand upon what the vendors provide.

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6542440.html

I appreciate the assistance of Web4Lib.

-marshall

Marshall Breeding
Director for Innovative Technology and Research
Vanderbilt University Library
615-343-6094
http://www.librarytechnology.org