[Web4lib] blocking myspaceIM

Wesley Johnson wesjohn79 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 14:40:12 EDT 2008

Hello All,

Sarah, of Librarianinblack.net, suggested that I pose this question to you
all.

Our patrons have been obsessively installing Myspace IM on the public PCs
even though our electronic agreement forbids them to. And, sadly, they have
a tendency to leave the "run at startup" box checked which causes our
machines to boot even slower. Most of our computers are of a decent speed,
however, some are slow enough when booting on their own without the added
weight of another program starting when we turn it on.

I had successfully blocked the program for a while. I added some URLs in to
our Sonicwall Content Filter that caused any installation of MyspaceIM to
error out. But now the site has apparently shuffled things around a bit and
the two URLs that I used caused images not to display on the site. This, in
my opinion, isn't a bad thing but our patrons tend to disagree.

Is there any way to use the Sonicwall to block MyspaceIM from being
installed without hampering the site's ability to be displayed? I currently
have an intrusion prevention measure set that prevents users from being able
to login, but I'd like to keep the program from being installed at all.