[Web4lib] PubMed and ILLiad

Walker, David dwalker at calstate.edu
Fri Sep 28 17:23:11 EDT 2007

To expand a little on what Ross just said:

As you probably already know, Ilana, it is theoretically possible to have PubMed send an OpenURL to Illiad by registering your Illiad URL with PubMed's link-out service.

The problem is that PubMed sends along little more than the PubMed ID in its OpenURL.  That is, by itself, of little use to your Interlibrary Loan staff, and Illiad doesn't know how to map the PubMed ID to one of its form fields anyway.

The real utility of the PubMed ID, as Ross stated, is that you can use it as the identifier in a PubMed "look-up" -- basically you can send the ID back to PubMed and PubMed will give you the full bibliographic citation for that item, in XML.  You can then parse that XML, extract all the needed metadata, like title, author, volume, issue, etc., and then simply redirect the user to your Illiad system with all of that metadata.

Note that Illiad can accept some OpenURL 1.0 elements, including ones not present in the 0.1 standard like rft.pub (publisher), rft.place (place of publication), and rft.date (date of publication), which can be useful for book requests, as well as things like the OCLC number with a bit of trickery.

The trick here, then, is to create some kind of intervening script that can actually do the PubMed lookup and redirect the user to Illiad.  You would then register the URL of that script with PubMed, although from your user's perspective it would look and behave like a direct link to Illiad.

Personally, I would probably just wait for the link revolver. ;-)

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University