[Web4lib] Skype use on public library computers

Scott Turnbull sturnbu at emory.edu
Mon Sep 24 16:18:30 EDT 2007

Here is an article on Skype security issues, there seems to me to be a
low level disgruntled buzz about it from IT watchdogs but I've seen few
concrete problems.

I would operate with caution as far as bandwidth goes.  Skype is
essentially a p2p network and if it detects you have a fast connection
it sometimes makes computers serve as a network registry increasing it's
bandwidth over normal use.  There's an article on Skype Bandwidth issues
here http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060924-7814.html

I use Skype personally and like it but I wouldn't really recommend it as
a standard app on public computers.

- Scott Turnbull
Emory University Libraries