[Web4lib] tagging software for individual documents

Tom Keays tomkeays at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 14:25:45 EDT 2007

Could you clarify your request? At first I was assuming a social
bookmarking service, but re-reading the quote, I'm wondering if he
didn't mean something like Commentpress from the Institute for the
Future of the Book. Commentpress allows paragraph-level (not
sentence-level) comments on top a an otherwise normal WordPress blog.

http://www.futureofthebook.org/commentpress/

The Institute first used this software to allow user comments on the
text of Mitchell Stephens' e-book, "The Holy of Holies: On the
Constituents of Emptiness".

http://www.futureofthebook.org/mitchellstephens/holyofholies/

Here's the blurb about the software:

CommentPress is an open source theme for the WordPress blogging engine
that allows readers to comment paragraph by paragraph in the margins
of a text. Annotate, gloss, workshop, debate: with CommentPress you
can do all of these things on a finer-grained level, turning a
document into a conversation. It can be applied to a fixed document
(paper/essay/book etc.) or to a running blog.